Today it is expected that President Trump will recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital. Some are saying it doesn’t matter. The Arab world is in its typical temper tantrum mode, when the west does anything with which they disagree. (remember the Mohamed cartoons?) They are stirring up the masses, as thousands take to the streets to do the unthinkable: Burn Israeli and US flags. Here are a few things to consider today as you decide where you stand.
1. Many people say that there is no need to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital. Would it matter to you if virtually every nation in the world refused to recognize Washington DC as the US Capital, but instead chose L.A., Detroit or Chicago?
2. Turkey is saying that recognizing Jerusalem is a “red line” and that if the US recognizes Jerusalem, then they will cut off ties with Israel. If they had any real courage they would cut off ties with the US, as it is the US action. Israel has claimed since January 23, 1950 that Jerusalem was our capital.
3. Hamas and other terror groups are saying Trump’s actions on Jerusalem are an atrocity. Meanwhile they’ve had nothing to say about Assad using chemical weapons, ISIS murdering Muslims and Christians, 500,000 dead in Syria, 10 million refugees, the treatment of women in the Arab world, etc. There are real atrocities to be angry about—this is not one of them.
4. God predicted (or foreknew) thousands of years ago that Jerusalem, a city no bigger than a large shopping mall, would be the most controversial city in the world. Psalm 2 speaks of the nations raging against God over Jerusalem, saying “I have installed my king on Zion, my holy mountain.”
5. Zech. 12:2-3 speaks of the nations suffering judgement for standing against Israel in the end-times:
“I am going to make Jerusalem a cup that sends all the surrounding peoples reeling … On that day, when all the nations of the earth are gathered against her, I will make Jerusalem an immovable rock for all the nations. All who try to move it will injure themselves.”
(The passage speaks of a specific war, where God will give Jerusalem victory, but the principle is the same: Be careful nations who mess with Jerusalem)
6. For all the outrage, people seem to forget that Jerusalem has never been important to the Arab world. It has never the been the capital of any Arab nation…ever…it was only when the Jews began to return that this counterfeit zeal of Jerusalem was birthed in the Arab world. The Islamic Turks controlled Jerusalem for 400 years and let it become desolate.
7. Jerusalem or Zion are mentioned nearly 100 times in the Old Testament and ZERO times in the Koran.
8. The entire New Testament centers around Israel, and Yeshua’s finals days—his death, resurrection and birth of the early congregation—were in Jerusalem. Mohamed never visited Jerusalem; there is only a vague mention of a one-time night visit in a dream to al-Masjid al-Aqsa, which Muslims claim is Jerusalem. (Quran 17:1)
9. The Arab League leader said a US decision to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel would be an “unjustified provocation” for Arabs. See point #3. There are so many atrocities in the Arab world and you do nothing, but this (and cartoons) is a provocation!? Really?
10. BONUS POINT! I have heard from leftwing congressmen and congresswomen and world leaders throughout the day that this will significantly hurt the peace process. WHAT PEACE PROCESS!?!? The Palestinians are forming a unity government with Hamas terrorists. They will not recognize Israel as the Jewish state. They teach their children to hate Jews. They name city squares, streets and schools after terrorists who blew up innocent Jewish women and children. You can’t damage something that doesn’t exist. They speak as if Palestinians are on the verge of peace with Israel.
We cannot make decisions based on how the Arab world will react, but whether they are right or wrong. God will most certainly bless the United States for this decision.
This article originally appeared on Messiah’s Mandate, December 6, 2017, and reposted with permission.