JERUSALEM, Israel – Islamic terrorists in Spain, claiming affiliation with ISIS, shouted anti-Israel slurs not unlike those heard earlier this week in Charlottesville, Virginia. Thursday’s car-ramming attack at a popular outdoor shopping mall in Barcelona killed 13 and injured more than 100 others.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called on “the civilized world” to unite in its fight against terrorism.
“Israel strongly condemns the terrorist attack in Barcelona. On behalf of the citizens of Israel, I send condolences to the families of those who were killed and wishes for a quick recovery to the injured. This evening we again saw that terror strikes everywhere; the civilized world must fight it together in order to defeat it.”
Israeli President Reuven Rivlin expressed the same sentiments in a letter Spanish King Filipe VI.
“Terrorism is terrorism is terrorism, whether it takes place in Barcelona, Paris, Istanbul or Jerusalem. These horrific events once again prove that we must all stand united in the fight against those who seek to use violence to stifle individual liberty and freedom of thought and belief, and continue to destroy the lives of so many,” he wrote. “The people of Israel share with me in mourning the sad loss of life and suffering.”
Later the same day, Spanish officials linked two more terror attacks to the carnage in Barcelona – a car ramming in the seaside resort of Cambrils and a bombing in the town of Alcanar, which killed one person.
AP quoted a regional official saying there’s a “connection” to the Barcelona attack that “follows the same trail.” Security forces have one suspect in custody.
Police shot and killed five other suspects, at least one armed with a knife, after they rammed their vehicle into a police car and passersby. The five were reportedly carrying bomb belts, which were later detonated in controlled explosions.
Meanwhile, a few days before the driver rammed his vehicle into pedestrians at the outdoor mall in Barcelona, he told his followers on Facebook that Israelis murder Arab children and warned of a “global Jewish conspiracy,” Arutz Sheva reported.
Wednesday’s attack took place near two kosher restaurants – one named Maccabi Restaurant and the other Maoz Falafel (definitely Israel inspired) in the mall.
ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack.
According to the report, the driver – a Moroccan-born 28-year-old with European Union residency who has yet to be apprehended – has been pretty open about his anti-Israel agenda on Facebook. Nonetheless, Barcelona Chief Rabbi Meir Bar Chen said the attack did not target Jews.
While Barcelona police closed Jewish institutions as a precautionary measure, Arutz Sheva quoted Chen saying the attack was against every person created in God’s image and wishing the injured “a full and speedy recovery.”
“The Jewish community relies on the Spanish security services to do everything to secure the institutions of the community,” he said, according to the report.
A few years ago, Netanyahu said today’s anti-Israel propaganda is nothing more than anti-Semitism repackaged.
This article originally appeared on CBN News, August 18, 2017, and reposted with permission.